These tests are intended for farm fields or fields being used to grow commercial horticultural crops. The reports for soil samples submitted with the Farm/Field and Commercial Horticulture Soil Analysis Request Sheet will include crop-specific fertilizer recommendations.
Here are two videos showing how to collect samples:
How to Submit Samples for Analysis
- Follow the instructions for collecting field samples.
- Place sample(s) in a tightly sealed container or bag (like a clean, disposable food container or bag).
- Download, print and fill out the Farm/Field and Commercial Horticulture Soil Analysis Request Sheet (PDF). Add your email address to the form if you want to receive the results via email (sometimes the results will enter your spam folder - look out for the email [email protected]).
- Enclose a check payable to the University of Minnesota for all services requested. The cost is $15 per sample for the Regular test. Do NOT send cash - we cannot be responsible for cash sent through the mail.
- Send the soil sample(s), payment, and Farm/Field request sheet to:
Soil Testing Laboratory, University of Minnesota
135 Crops Research Building
1902 Dudley Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55108
Alternatively, you may drop off your samples at the above address. See Contact Us for directions.
- Regular Series (phosphorus, potassium, pH and lime requirement, percent organic matter and estimated texture category)
- Micronutrient series (zinc, copper, iron, manganese)
- Nitrate Nitrogen
- Calcium and Magnesium
- Soluble Salts
- Organic Matter
- Nutrient Management Phosphorus
Fertilizer recommendations for optimum yield are based on laboratory results, soil characteristics, past crop history, and crop nutrient requirements.