These tests are intended for farm fields or fields being used to grow commercial horticultural crops. The reports for soil samples submitted with the Farm/Field Form will include crop-specific fertilizer recommendations.
How to Submit Samples for Analysis
- Follow the instructions for collecting field samples.
- Place sample(s) in a tightly sealed container or bag (like a clean, disposable food container or bag)
- Download & print the Farm Field/Horticultural Field Information Sheet (PDF)
- Enclose a check payable to the University of Minnesota for all services requested. The cost is $15 per sample. Do NOT send cash - we cannot be responsible for cash sent through the mail.
- Send the soil sample(s), money, and information sheet to us at:
Soil Testing Laboratory, University of Minnesota
Room 135, Crops Research Building
1902 Dudley Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55108
Alternatively, you may drop off your samples at the above address. See Contact Us for directions.
- Regular Series (phosphorus, potassium, pH and lime requirement, percent organic matter and estimated texture category)
- Micronutrient series (zinc, copper, iron, manganese)
- Nitrate Nitrogen
- Calcium and Magnesium
- Soluble Salts
- Organic Matter
- Nutrient Management Phosphorus
Fertilizer recommendations for optimum yield are based on laboratory results, soil characteristics, past crop history, and crop nutrient requirements.