The tests provided here are for evaluating soil fertility, pH level, and/or problems due to excessive salts or fertilizer materials. Based on the test results and type of plants to be grown, you will be sent the appropriate fertilizer recommendation for good plant growth without adverse effects on the environment. Watch the video below to learn how to collect soil samples from your lawn or garden.
How to Submit Samples for Analysis
- Download, print and fill out the Lawn & Garden Soil Analysis Request Sheet. Use one sheet per sample. Include your email address and we will email you the results.
- Follow the instructions for collecting samples on the second/back page of the PDF and watch the How to Take a Soil Sample video.
- The sample size should be about 2-3 cups.
- Place sample in a tightly sealed container or bag (clean). Label the container or bag with a sample name/number that matches what you put on the request sheet.
- Enclose a check payable to the University of Minnesota for all services requested. Do NOT send cash - we cannot be responsible for cash sent through the mail. You may also pay with a credit card. Scroll down for prices.
- Send the soil sample(s), payment, and request sheet(s) to:
Soil Testing Laboratory, University of Minnesota
135 Crops Research Building
1902 Dudley Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55108
You may drop off the samples in person. See Contact Us for directions. Free parking to drop-off samples is available along the curb on Dudley Ave. Call us from your car if you would like us to walk outside the office to pick up your samples from you.
Note: While our tests are optimized for upper Midwest states, we can accept any soil from the mainland US (including AK) that is not highlighted or marked on this map.
Tests Offered (with recommendations)
- Regular Series (phosphorus, potassium, pH and lime requirement, organic matter (%) and estimated texture class) - $19/sample
- Lead - $20/sample
- Soluble Salts (from excess fertilizer or road salt) - $8/sample
Professional Tests (no recommendations)
- Micronutrient Series (Zinc, Copper, Iron, Manganese) - $14/sample
- Calcium and Magnesium - $8/sample
- Nitrate - $8/sample
- Sulfur - $8/sample
- Boron - $8/sample
Prices effective January 2023. Note that prices are subject to change.
Due to limited storage space, soil samples are kept for three months, then discarded.