The tests provided here are for evaluating soil fertility, pH level, and/or problems due to excessive salts or fertilizer materials. Based on the test results and type of plants to be grown, you will be sent the appropriate fertilizer recommendation for good plant growth without adverse effects on the environment.
How to Submit Samples for Analysis
- Download & Print the Lawn & Garden Information Sheet (PDF)
- Follow the instructions for collecting samples on the second page of the PDF.
- Place sample in a tightly sealed container or bag (like a clean, disposable food container or bag)
- Enclose a check payable to the University of Minnesota for all services requested. The cost is $17 per sample. Do NOT send cash - we cannot be responsible for cash sent through the mail.
- Send the soil sample(s), money, and request sheet to:
Soil Testing Laboratory, University of Minnesota
Room 135, Crops Research Building
1902 Dudley Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55108
You may drop off the samples in person. See Contact Us for directions. Free drop-off parking available on the curb of the Dudley Ave. entrance.
Note: While our tests are optimized for upper midwest states, we can accept any soil from the mainland US (including AK) that is not highlighted or marked on this map.
Tests Offered (with recommendations)
- Regular Series (phosphorus, potassium, pH and lime requirement, organic matter (%) and estimated texture class)
- Soluble Salts (from excess fertilizer or road salt)