These tests are intended for farm fields or fields being used to grow commercial horticultural crops. The reports for soil samples submitted with the Farm/Field Form will include crop-specific fertilizer recommendations.
How to Submit Samples for Analysis
- Follow the instructions for collecting field samples.
- Place sample(s) in a tightly sealed container or bag (like a clean, disposable food container or bag)
- Download & Print the Farm Field/Horticultural Field Information Sheet field_form.pdf
- Enclose a check payable to the University of Minnesota for all services requested. The cost is $15 per sample. Do NOT send cash - we cannot not be responsible for cash sent through the mail.
- Send the soil sample(s), money, and information sheet to us at:
Soil Testing Laboratory, University of Minnesota
1902 Dudley Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55108
Alternatively, you can bring it to us in person to:
Room 135, Crops Research Building, University of Minnesota, St. Paul Campus. See Contact Us for directions.
- Regular Series (phosphorus, potassium, pH and lime requirement, percent organic matter and estimated texture category)
- Micronutrient series (zinc, copper, iron, manganese)
- Nitrate Nitrogen
- Calcium and Magnesium
- Soluble Salts
- Organic Matter
- Nutrient Management Phosphorus
Fertilizer recommendations for optimum yeild are based on laboratory results, soil characteristics, past crop history, and crop nutrient requirements.